Friday, February 27, 2015

How to "Kill them with Kindness"

Today, the term "kill them with kindness" comes to mind. I have a twist on that. It may help you with your situation.
I have someone whom I allow in my life because I do not have the courage to ask them to leave. I feel attachment to them, I am aware and I take responsibility for my choices. For the past year, this person has been trying to convince me about a certain idea. I have come to realize all that we all are looking for is validation. Validation that our own reality is how things are. I kindly agreed with this person that their reality is correct. After that, there was nothing else to discuss. They were validated and have left on their own accord. The space had been created for each person to be who they are. It is like Magic!! We both received what we wanted from the situation.

If you have someone in your life, a co-worker, a family member, a stranger who is trying to convince you of something. You have tried other things to get this person to stop bringing up a certain topic. It is an unconscious cycle. Try these steps.

1. Genuinely agree. (It must be genuine or it does not work.) Say I agree, I understand. If they continue, just keep agreeing. You are not adding fuel to the fire, you are smothering it.
2. Watch the results, be very observant and aware of the person, you, the situation, they may give you a clue as to your next steps.
3. Really take note of this because it applies to all situations. It is a way to gently end the cycles.

I hope you have found value with a way to "kill them with kindness". If you have any experiences to share, please share them below. If you would like to learn more about what I do, let me know. Have a beautiful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment